Manitowoc County, Wisconsin Manitowoc County
HOMEFEEDBACKHELPVirtual Government Center

2015 Adopted Budget
2014 Adopted Budget
CAFR - 2013
2014-2015 Directory
Corp Counsel Documents
County Code
Resource Directory
Sheriff Sales
Economic Development
Online Auctions
ELECTION RESULTS

Agendas/Minutes
Announcements
 
Boards/Committees
   Standing
   Other
Calendar
County Board
   Resolutions &
   Ordinances
   Videos
 
County Executive
County Tidbits
Departments
Employment
Election Information
 
FAQs
 
Land Records
   Maps/GIS
   Pay Taxes On-Line
   Real Estate Tax
   ROD Documents
Locations
Our Vision
Phone Directory
Recreation
Related Links
Services
Site Map
Website Policies

Get Adobe Acrobat Reader
SEARCH: Advanced Search
SOME TIDBITS OF INFORMATION ABOUT MANITOWOC COUNTY
BRIEF ACCOUNT OF THE EARLY HISTORY OF THE COUNTY

Native Americans occupied what is now Manitowoc County since very early times. The French laid claim to this land, however, in the seventeenth century. They then passed it to Great Britain in 1763 as a result of the Seven Years' War. In 1789, it was made a part of the Northwest Territory; in 1809, of Illinois Territory; and in 1818 it was attached to Michigan Territory. On April 20, 1836, it was included in Wisconsin Territory.

Manitowoc County was a part of Brown County until the organization of a separate County Government for Manitowoc County was authorized by an act of the Territorial Legislature in 1838. Under the act, the date for the first election was fixed for the first Monday in March, 1839, and the Commissioners of Brown County were authorized to canvass the vote and issue certificates of election.

The election was held March 4, 1839, at the home of P. P. Pierce in the village of Manitowoc Rapids. Horace Conroe and O. C. Hubbard were Judges of Election, and Peter Johnson and J. H. Este, Clerks. Thirty-five votes were cast and the following officers were elected: County Commissioners, Horace Conroe, John Rigney and J. G. Conroe; Assessor, O. C. Hubbard; Register of Deeds, J. W. Conroe; Collector, Peter Johnson. Having received properly authenticated certificates of election, the County Commissioners met and organized March 15, 1839. Meetings of the County Commissioners were recorded in the Journal of the County Commissioners, which is the first or earliest volume of the publication now known as the Proceedings of the County Board.

The next recorded meeting of the Board of Commissioners was held at Manitowoc Rapids, May 27, 1839, and it appears the purpose of this meeting was to elect and appoint Judges of Election for Manitowoc County. Though the record states that Manitowoc County at that time was divided into two precincts, namely the Precinct of Conroe and the Precinct of Two Rivers, it does not describe just what territory comprised each precinct. It is assumed, however, that no definite political lines were drawn, but that the electors of the County cast their votes in the polling place most convenient to reach at that time of few and poor roads and limited means of travel. The County seat was located at Manitowoc Rapids.


Copyright 2001 Manitowoc County. All Rights Reserved Worldwide.
Website Created by Infinity Technology, Inc. Best viewed with browsers 4.0+
TOP